• Megan Rapinoe slammed over FIFA commercial for World Cup tickets

    Megan Rapinoe

    Some of Megan Rapinoe’s loyal following have criticized the USA soccer great for promoting FIFA’s exorbitant World Cup tickets ahead of next month’s tournament.

    The 40-year-old Rapinoe, a two-time USA World Cup winner in her playing career, shared a video this week promoting hospitality tickets for the competition on Instagram.

    ‘With hospitality, you get a guaranteed ticket with a premium seat,’ Rapinoe said. ‘You get to experience the best of the beautiful game.’

    But with the iconic tournament just weeks away now, Americans across the United States have been priced out of attending games due to some of the astronomical fees FIFA are charging.

    For the hospitality tickets Rapinoe is encouraging fans to buy, they are obviously even more expensive.

    FIFA’s website prices a VIP ticket for Qatar vs Switzerland on June 13 at $2,100. A ‘premium seat’ for USA’s second game, against Australia in Seattle, the city where Rapinoe spent a large part of her career, is $2,650 and Brazil vs Haiti is $2,800.

    ‘Sad you are doing this Megan. They have out priced all the fans,’ one of her followers commented on the video.

    ‘Rapinoe a Shill for FIFA, how the mighty have fallen,’ another fan wrote.

    One comment said: ‘Too bad only the 1% can afford it’ while a different user posted ‘Too expensive for normal working people.’

    Even President Trump said he thinks the tickets are too expensive. Last month he said that the $1,000 ticket to watch USA’s opening game against Paraguay in Los Angeles is too much.

    ‘I did not know that number,’ Trump told the New York Post. ‘I would certainly like to be there, but I wouldn’t pay it either, to be honest with you.’

    The criticism comes just a month after Rapinoe announced that she was splitting from her fiancee, the former basketball player Sue Bird, after almost ten years together.

    The sporting power couple had been dating for nearly a decade after first meeting backstage at a photoshoot for the 2016 Rio Olympics.

    They got engaged in October 2020 but never tied the knot.

    Keep up with the latest news effortlessly. Get real-time updates and breaking stories from The Nigerian Reports on WhatsApp and Telegram.

    Join Our Whatsapp Channel Join Our Telegram Channel

    Top